About Short IDs
- Short IDs appear on Sales, Purchases, Payments and Expenses.
- They are 7 characters long and consist of the characters
- These characters and length have been chosen for readability and barcode compatibility
- The barcodes which appear on receipts and invoices will be generated from that items Short ID
- We do not enforce uniqueness on these Short IDs - there is a very low probability that two items will receive the same ID, however we don't want to risk the possibility of ID's 'running out' over extended usage periods or in large deployments
- To give you an idea, if generating 1000 sales per hour for 24 hours per day, it would take over 3 days for there to be a 1% chance of two sales getting the same Short ID
- Short IDs are provided for convenience - to make it easy to look up sales and other items from receipts or by being read over the phone. If there are duplicate or similar Short IDs for different items, their date, amount, contact or contents will be enough to differentiate them.